A protein fire is smoke damage resulting from the extreme burn of a protein enriched fibre.
At first glance, protein fires do not appear to cause any damage to your home and contents. But in actual fact, the aftermath of a protein fire is an invisible and often sticky, foul smelling residue that coats the many surfaces throughout your home.
Restoration after this kind of fire requires special products and experience.
When you experience this kind of damage, DO:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent residue from being imbedded into your upholstery and carpeting.
- Keep your hands clean. Residue on hands can soil upholstery, woodwork and walls.
- Place old linens on rugs, upholstery and areas where there is traffic.
- Call the nearest SystemCare location to assess the damage and begin the cleaning process.
- Contact your insurance company to make a claim.
But DO NOT:
- Attempt to clean anything. Household cleaners applied to the surfaces will not clean away the residue.
- Use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, as they may be contaminated.
- Attempt to launder your clothing, clothing from a protein fire require specialized cleaning.
- Wait to call our office for professional help!